KNOXVILLE COMMUTER POOL. ANNUAL REPORT
The Brokerage Bureau, commonly known as the Knoxville Commuter Pool (KCP), came into being on October 23, 1975, through a formal agreement between the Urban Mass Transportation Administration and the City of Knoxville. Currently the KCP is a part of the City government; however, its services actually extend over a region comparable to the East Tennessee Development District. KCP has acted to integrate vanpools into the general ridesharing system which includes carpools, transit buses, and privately operated express buses. One of the most significant accomplishments of the KCP was the establishment of credibility and awareness among the local business community and the general public, concerning ridesharing. This annual report presents a concise description of the background, objectives, organization, and accomplishments of the Knoxville Transportation Brokerage Project. Special attention is given to details of employer/employee participation, concentrated program efforts in the Central Business District, and a telephone information and brokerage service. The vanpool program is described in detail, including maintenance, the transition of the vans to private ownership, and the formation of an association of private vanpool owner/operators. Other aspects of the project are also covered, including the development of computer matching capacity, social service brokerage, a downtown fare free bus zone, and promotion and advertising.
- See also the report dated Nov 1978, Volume 1, PB-292592.
Knoxville Commuter PoolKnoxville, TN USA
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Beeson, J D
- Publication Date: 1978-11
- Pagination: 80 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus transit; Carpools; Central business districts; Commuters; Express buses; Ridership; Taxicabs; Transportation planning; Urban transportation; Vanpools
- Old TRIS Terms: Bus transportation (Intracity)
- Subject Areas: Highways; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00197450
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-TN-06-0006-78-2
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 27 1981 12:00AM