A MANAGEMENT ANALYSIS OF THE CITY OF ANDERSON TRANSIT SYSTEM
The basic purpose of the report is to evaluate the previous management structure of the City of Anderson Transportation System (CATS), and to identify and evaluate any changes which have occurred. The main focus of this document is the description of the status of CATS' past and present management structures. The document shows that CATS' previous management had many problems that prevented it from operating efficiently. These problems were identified as: (1) unclear lines of responsibility and communication; (2) unpredictable service; (3) lack of organizational direction; (4) inefficient utilization of personnel; and (5) the view of CATS as an implementing agency of the city's transportation policy without any input into policy development. CATS' weak management structure was accompanied by inefficient policies and procedures in the areas of personnel, maintenance, and inventory control. These factors prompted the City of Anderson to hire a professional transit manager who has since effectively reorganized CATS' management structure to eliminate many of the management problems described. The study also analyzes CATS' management reorganization and presents future objectives, recommendations, and conclusions.
- Prepared by Anderson City Planning Department.
Madison County Council of GovernmentsGovernment Center
Anderson, Indiana, USA 46016
Anderson City Planning Department120 East 8th Street
Anderson, Indiana, USA 46011
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Demos, E M
- Publication Date: 1978-6
- Pagination: 110 p.
- TRT Terms: Economic efficiency; Inventory control; Maintenance; Maintenance management; Management; Personnel management; Policy; Property condemnation; Transportation policy; Transportation system management; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Efficiency; Systems management
- Geographic Terms: Indiana
- Old TRIS Terms: Inverse condemnation
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00197448
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IN-09-0018-79-1Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1979 12:00AM