EXPERIMENTAL VERIFICATION OF A PNEUMATIC TRANSPORT SYSTEM FOR THE RAPID EXCAVATION OF TUNNELS. PART II. TEST PROGRAM
This study is the final phase of a muck pipeline program begun in 1973. The objective of the study was to evaluate a pneumatic pipeline system for muck haulage from a tunnel excavated by a tunnel boring machine. The system was comprised of a muck preparation unit, solids feeder and air blower, telescoping pipes and 500 feet of 10-inch diameter pipe. The system transported up to 100tph of simulated tunnel muck with maximum sizes ranging from 1/2 inch to more than 3 inches. The system components were tested for reliability and flexibility, wear and maintenance requirements, capacity, noise and dust levels, effect of moisture content, extensibility, and power requirements. The system was found to be low in capital cost, easy to operate, and readily extensible. The pneumatic pipeline was power-intensive and susceptible to elbow wear. For the pneumatic transport of coarse muck, moisture content was more important than particle size. Noise levels were high at the blower and muck preparation unit but could be reduced in actual practice. The system was found to be reliable except for the elbow wear.
- See also report dated January 1978, PB-281103, and Part 1, PB-295031.
Colorado School of Mines1500 Illinois Street
Golden, CO USA 80401
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Martin, J W
- Faddick, R R
- Publication Date: 1978-12
- Pagination: 154 p.
- TRT Terms: Boring; Costs; Deflectors; Durability tests; Dust control; Excavation; Excavation and tunneling; Fans; Materials management; Moisture content; Mucking; Noise; Pipeline transportation; Pipelines; Pneumatic equipment; Sound level; Test facilities; Transportation; Tunneling; Tunneling machines; Tunnels; Wear
- Old TRIS Terms: Blowers; Dust collection; Excavation technology; Muck tunneling; Noise sound; Pneumatic systems; Tunnel excavation
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00197446
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-UMTA-78-50 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1144
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1979 12:00AM