EXPERIMENTAL VERIFICATION OF A PNEUMATIC TRANSPORT SYSTEM FOR THE RAPID EXCAVATION OF TUNNELS. PART I. INSTALLATION OF TEST FACILITY
This report deals with the selection of a test site, the design of a test installation, equipment selection, the installation and start-up of a pneumatic pipeline system for the transportation of tunnel muck. A review of prior pneumatic applications (Appendix A) provided knowledge on the state-of-the-art and a basic background for the design of the test equipment and development of a tentative test program. A suitable site was found four miles from the campus, and the site was prepared, equipment ordered, installed, and checked-out. The installation comprises a muck preparation unit, blower-feeder assembly, two telescoping pipes in series, 500 ft. of 10-inch diameter pipe with a vertical lift of 160 ft. on a 27 degree slope. The test unit is a full scale 100 ton per hour pneumatic transport system in a configuration suitable for application in a tunnel and capable of being extended under load to simulate service requirements. The test system developed has the capability to transport 100 tons/per hour of rock through a 10 inch pipeline approximately 550 feet long with vertical lift of 160 feet.
- See also report dated January 1978, PB-281103, and Part 2, PB-295032.
Colorado School of Mines1500 Illinois Street
Golden, CO USA 80401
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Martin, J W
- Faddick, R R
- Publication Date: 1976-3
- Pagination: 112 p.
- TRT Terms: Belt conveyors; Construction equipment; Excavation; Excavation and tunneling; Fans; Hydraulic equipment; Loads; Materials management; Mucking; Pipeline transportation; Pipelines; Pneumatic equipment; State of the art studies; Surveying; Surveying; Test facilities; Transportation; Tunneling; Tunnels
- Old TRIS Terms: Blowers; Excavation technology; Muck tunneling; Pneumatic systems; Tunnel excavation
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00197445
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MA-06-0025-7815Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1984 12:00AM