ELECTRICAL INSULATION FIRE CHARACTERISTICS. VOLUME I: FLAMMABILITY TESTS
In the crowded, confined environment of a rapid transit vehicle, it is essential that smoke emission from all sources be minimized. The adoption of test standards and guidelines for wire and cable used in these vehicles must be undertaken in an organized, well-coordinated program in which flammability, smoke emission, toxic gas evolution, and circuit integrity are treated as interrelated components of a system. As a result of this need, standard flammability, smoke emission, and circuit integrity tests were developed for electrical wire and cable insulating materials used in rapid transit system vehicles and wayside and track installations. The objective of the program was to determine if any of the currently used materials can provide a fire-safe environment in terms of low flame propagation, smoke emission, and gas evolution, and determine whether any of these can meet criteria which will be established by taking into account the fire hazards inherent in transit systems. Wire and cable insulating materials currently in use on rapid transit systems and new polymeric materials proposed for such systems, were requested from manufacturers who had given indication of interest in the program. These samples were tested and ranked with respect to their performance during the tests. The report presents a discussion of the need for such standard tests, the criteria for the selection of a test method, the development of the test details, and a description of the standard tests. The study concludes that the objectives of the program have been achieved. Other conclusions and recommendations are presented.
- See also Volume 2, PB-294 841.
Boeing Commercial Airplane CompanyP.O. Box 3707
Seattle, WA United States 98124
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Meyer, L E
- Taylor, Amanda M
- York, J A
- Publication Date: 1978-12
- Pagination: 247 p.
- TRT Terms: Cables; Combustion; Electric insulating materials; Fire prevention; Fire resistant materials; Fires; Flammability; Flammability tests; Insulating materials; Passenger cars; Rapid transit; Rapid transit cars; Safety; Smoke; Specifications; Tests; Toxicity; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Combustion products; Electrical insulation; Flammability testing; Passenger car design; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Design; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00197421
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MA-06-0025-79-1Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1221
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1979 12:00AM