VIBRATION TESTS ON TRANSIT BUSES
The objective of this vibration measurement program was to quantify the vibration environment which would be experienced by Automatic Vehicle Monitoring (AVM) equipment when installed on buses during typical city route service operations. Two buses were utilized in this measurement program: a General Motors Corporation Model 3100 provided by the Southern California Rapid Transit District, and a Flexible Corporation Model 207 provided by the City Transit of Fort Worth, Texas. The approach taken involved instrumenting the buses and representative electronic hardware on the buses with calibrated accelerometers and recording the output of these accelerometers while driving the buses over selected test routes at specified speeds. In general, the tests have provided a definition of the vibration environment typical of transit buses used in city route service. Vibration amplitudes of the levels measured in the program do not pose a threat to the satisfactory operation of equipment produced according to industrial equipment design practice and fabrication methods. The data measurement system used in this program provided data of sufficient detail to accomplish the basic objectives. In evaluating this program, the authors stated that more accurate and more extensive comparisons of the data would have been made possible by a continuous correlation of calibrated bus speed with data signals. It is recommended that this be incorporated into any future tests of this nature.
- See also report dated February 1979, PB-294200.
Gould Information Identification IncorporatedFort Worth, TX USA
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- ANDERSON, J
- Thomas, H
- Publication Date: 1979-3
- Pagination: 56 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic vehicle monitoring; Buses; Data collection; Data recorders; Data reduction; Monitoring; Urban transportation; Vibration; Vibration tests
- Uncontrolled Terms: Monitors
- Old TRIS Terms: Vibrational testing
- Subject Areas: Highways; Public Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00197369
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MA-06-0041-79-6Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1237
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1981 12:00AM