ANALYSES OF SELECTED AUTOMOTIVE PARTS AND ASSEMBLIES FOR COST AND MATERIAL IMPACTS
This is a study of selected automotive parts and assemblies analyzed to determine the elements of manufacturing cost and methods of production. Parts from the 1975 Ford Pinto, 1975 Chevelle, 1976 Audi 100LS, and the VW Rabbit are included in the selection of engine and transmission parts used for analyses of costs and materials. In order to make the costing procedures more understandable a review is included of generally accepted cost analysis techniques used by automotive companies to develop comparative, or target, costs. The various methods using the cost data bank information, detailed manufacturing process cost techniques as well as design variance studies are discussed. The selected vehicle and engine/transmission parts are studied for comparative material cost. Process descriptions include the number of process operations, material, grade of material, rough and finished part weight, cost of raw material, variable cost, and other elements of cost. Groupings by physical characteristics, material, and manufacturing processes are used to study the cost effects for various types of similar parts from different vehicles. In addition, other studies are included to illustrate the cost impacts of alternate materials on various components.
Pioneer Engineering and Manufacturing Company2500 East Nine Mile Road
Warren, MI USA 48091
Washington, DC USA 20590
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
- Reinhardt, R W
- Publication Date: 1979-3
- Pagination: 464 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Analysis; Automobiles; Charts; Costs; Direct costs; Industrial engineering; Manufacturing; Materials; Operating costs; Parts; Production; Transmissions; Vehicle power plants
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Automobile engines; Automobile makes; Process charting
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Materials; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00197365
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-803-842 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1045
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1979 12:00AM