THE DEVELOPMENT OF MEASURES OF SERVICE AVAILABILITY. VOLUME I: SUMMARY REPORT
The objective of the project was to develop passenger-oriented measures of service availability which could be used to control the failure characteristics of Automated Guideway Transit (AGT) systems throughout their life cycle. A corollary and equally significant objective was to develop, as necessary, a methodology for utilizing these measures during this control process. This document, Volume I, is a summary of the research effort and results. Service availability is defined as a measure of the impingement of failures on transit system service as perceived by the passengers. The alternate technologies and applications for AGT systems require service availability measures (SAMs) to gage the impact of alternate reliability and maintainability (R/M) options and goals. The transit industry views various forms of passenger delay potential to be the appropriate parameters of service availability. The tendency of a system to induce delays is a complex function of R/M and operational characteristics. No single measure or model exists which can be uniformly applied to different technologies or applications. A methodology is presented to compute these relationships for simple loop and/or shuttle systems. More complex systems will require computer simulation procedures. This volume also summarizes the recommendations that resulted from this research.
- See also RRIS 11 197361; Bulletin 7902. Also available in set of 3 reports PC E08, PB-294 803-SET.
Battelle Columbus Laboratories505 King Avenue
Columbus, OH United States 43201
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Leis, R D
- Publication Date: 1978-6
- Pagination: 18 p.
- TRT Terms: Automated guideway transit; Control; Evaluation; Level of service; Maintainability; Passenger service; Reliability; Supply; Traffic delays; Transportation planning; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Availability; Services
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00197362
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MA-06-0048-78-2Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1283
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1979 12:00AM