AIRTRANS URBAN TECHNOLOGY PROGRAM, PHASE II: IRAN PROGRAM. INSPECT, REPAIR AS NECESSARY ON THE AIRTRANS AGT VEHICLE
This is a report on the AIRTRANS Inspect Repair as Necessary (IRAN) project performed under the AIRTRANS Urban Technology Program, Phase II. The main objective was to critically evaluate the condition of an AGT vehicle after 268,000 miles and five years of operation and to provide a guide for the establishment of IRAN plans for future AGT systems as they are deployed in an urban environment. A program plan was developed to systematically inspect, and repair as required, the structural and other subsystems of the vehicle in operation at the Dallas/Ft. Worth Airport. The approach included Non-Destructive Tests (NDT) procedures, including radiograph, and dye penetration. The use of a high-powered magnifying lens with bright lighting conditions was also employed in the inspection procedures. The detailed inspection revealed a sound frame and chassis construction with no evidence of cracking in the welded structure. The other subsystems that were inspected, such as the suspension and drivetrain, displayed the normal wear patterns. Repairs were made on the acrylic/fiberglass exterior body panels. Subsequent followup revealed these repairs generally failed, as have previous repair attempts. Repairs were made to the vehicle roof because of a temperature related problem with the acrylic/fiberglass construction. The result of the project indicates that the maintenance procedures developed for this system are excellent. With the exception of the exterior body panels, the vehicle appears capable of attaining the 20-year service life. A five-year IRAN program is recommended to assure continued high performance.
- Prepared by Vought Corp., Dallas, TX. See also report on Phase 1, dated Jan 78, PB-291128.
Dallas/Fort Worth Regional Airport BoardDallas, TX United States
Vought CorporationSystems Division, P.O. Box 5907
Dallas, TX United States 75222
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Hawkes, D L
- Publication Date: 1978-8
- Pagination: 61 p.
- TRT Terms: Airports; Automated guideway transit; Chassis; Electrical equipment; Maintenance; Maintenance practices; Nondestructive tests; Panels; Pneumatic equipment; Preventive maintenance; Quality control; Rapid transit; Service life; Suspension systems; Urban transportation; Vehicle maintenance
- Identifier Terms: Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport
- Old TRIS Terms: Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Aviation; Design; Maintenance and Preservation; Public Transportation; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00197358
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-TX-06-0020-79-1
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1981 12:00AM