ECONOMIC FACTORS IN TUNNEL CONSTRUCTION
This report describes a new cost estimating system for tunneling. The system is designed so that it may be used to aid planners, engineers, and designers in evaluating the cost impact of decisions they may make during the sequential stages of planning and design of urban transportation tunnels. In developing a cost estimating technique and method, an extensive review was made of currently available estimating systems. Techniques were adapted from the systems studied where applicable, and new methodologies were developed as needed for optimization. A detailed estimating technique is used in which units of effort are converted to obtain a base cost for a "standard" tunnel constructed in 1976 in Washington, DC. Correction factors may then be applied to obtain the costs in other time frames and geographic locations. The use of units of effort provides a technical base which does not change rapidly with time, but may be updated as changes in technology and productivity occur.
- Prepared in cooperation with Singstad, Kehart, November, and Hurka, New York.
Underground Technology Development Corporation8425 Frye Road
Alexandria, VA USA 22309
Singstad, Kehart, November, and HurkaOne World Trade Center
New York, NY USA 10048
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
- Foster, E L
- MCDONALD, R
- Wightman, W
- Toporoff, I
- Publication Date: 1979-2
- Pagination: 306 p.
- TRT Terms: Bids; Construction; Construction projects; Cost control; Cost engineering; Cost estimating; Costs; Economic factors; Estimates; Excavation; Excavation and tunneling; Structural design; Systems analysis; Transportation planning; Tunneling; Tunnels; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Construction costs; Tunnel design
- Old TRIS Terms: Engineering costs; Excavation technology
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Bridges and other structures; Construction; Economics; Finance; Highways; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00197344
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MA-06-0025-7910Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1106
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1981 12:00AM