NEW HAMPSHIRE ALCOHOL SAFETY ACTION PROJECT. ANALYSIS OF ASAP PATROL ACTIVITY
During the ASAP years, DWI arrests reached an annual rate more than triple that of the years prior to the project. The ASAP operated two forms of enforcement. During 1972-1974 a team of 11 State Police carried out enforcement patrols on a fulltime basis. During 1975-1976, patrols were carried out by local and State Police on an overtime basis. Both forms of patrol were found to be more effective in making DWI arrests than were regular patrols. The overtime patrols were more cost-effective in terms of patrol man-hours per DWI arrest. Considerable variation was found among the performance of the officers assigned to the team. Officers who stopped more vehicles per unit time did not have higher DWI arrest rates. The efficiency of local overtime patrols (man-hours per DWI arrest) was found to be unrelated to various measurable characteristics of the communities in which the patrols were conducted. Arrest levels were also unrelated to the frequency with which vehicles were stopped. Both forms of special patrols had higher compliance rates with chemical testing procedures than did regular patrols. Special patrols also tended to make arrests at lower BACs than did regular patrols.
- Prepared in cooperation with Dunlap and Associates, Incorporated.
New Hampshire Alcohol Safety Action ProjectConcord, NH USA 03301
Dunlap and Associates IncorporatedOne Parkland Drive
Darien, CT USA 06820
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Ulmer, R G
- Jacobs, H
- Publication Date: 1977-6
- Pagination: 42 p.
- TRT Terms: Drunk drivers; Drunk driving; Evaluation; Law enforcement; Measures of effectiveness; Police; Police patrol; Statistical analysis; Traffic safety
- Identifier Terms: Alcohol Safety Action Program
- Uncontrolled Terms: Effectiveness
- Geographic Terms: New Hampshire
- Old TRIS Terms: Asap (Alcohol safety action program)
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00197321
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-803-142 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-055-1-071
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1979 12:00AM