NEW HAMPSHIRE ALCOHOL SAFETY ACTION PROJECT. DESCRIPTION AND EVALUATION OF THE PUBLIC INFORMATION AND EDUCATION COUNTERMEASURE OF THE NEW HAMPSHIRE ALCOHOL SAFETY ACTION PROJECT
During the period from 1972 to 1976 the New Hampshire Alcohol Safety Action Project conducted a public information and education countermeasure with the objectives of increasing the general public's knowledge of the traffic safety hazard posed by drunken driving; increasing the knowledge of persons in control of their drinking, and those in contact with problem drinkers, regarding factual aspects of drinking and driving; acquainting the public with the ASAP program and winning support for its efforts; creating a deterrent effect in conjunction with enforcement efforts; and encouraging personal intervention in potential drunk driving situations. During the five years of operation the campaign established and maintained a high level of activity. Included were more than 22,000 radio PSA placements, nearly 3,000 newspaper items, the distribution of several hundred thousand items of handout material, and 572 speaker's bureau appearances before an audience of some 42,500 persons. Evaluation of the countermeasure, based on a series of household and telephone surveys, shows a number of changes in public knowledge and attitudes concerning alcohol impaired driving.
- Prepared in cooperation with Dunlap and Associates, Incorporated.
New Hampshire Alcohol Safety Action ProjectConcord, NH United States 03301
Dunlap and Associates IncorporatedOne Parkland Drive
Darien, CT United States 06820
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Ulmer, R G
- Jacobs, H H
- Publication Date: 1977-5
- Pagination: 111 p.
- TRT Terms: Countermeasures; Data collection; Drunk drivers; Drunk driving; Education; Hazards; Households; Information dissemination; Mass media; Project management; Publicity; Rollers; Surveys; Traffic safety
- Identifier Terms: Alcohol Safety Action Program
- Geographic Terms: New Hampshire
- Old TRIS Terms: Asap (Alcohol safety action program)
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Society;
- Accession Number: 00197320
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-803-994 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-055-1-071
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1979 12:00AM