DYNAMIC THEORIES AND EXPERIMENTS OF ALTERNATIVE GUIDEWAY-VEHICLE SYSTEMS, PART II
In both the companion report (Part I) and the present study, the broad purpose is to investigate theoretically and experimentally guideway-vehicle system dynamics. Four alternative systems are studied here in terms of nondimensional parameters. First, critical moment responses are predicted for simple, horizontally curved spans subjected to a variety of transit force distributions and torques. These results are validated with a series of laboratory-scale experiments. Second, measured moment responses are presented for curved, multiple spans with both even and uneven pier spacings and with several types of end constraints, all subjected to tandem vehicle loads. Results show that span dynamic responses may exceed 4 or 5 times those for vehicles at crawl speed. Third, dynamic responses are predicted for several three and six-span cable-stayed guideways subjected to a constant speed, vertical point force. These results are also validated with laboratory experiments. Finally, a statistical response analysis is presented for an AGT vehicle traversing a rigid, statistically rough, banked, curved guideway. With solutions of the covarient propagation equation, those design parameters are identified which strongly affect the lateral rms accelerations and mean suspension system strokes. The results obtained in all of these studies are directly applicable to the design of analogous intraurban and intercity transport systems.
- See also Part I, RRIS 11 186863; Bulletin 7902.
Duke UniversityDepartment of Civil Engineering
Durham, NC USA 27706
Department of TransportationOffice of University Research, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Wilson, J F
- Publication Date: 1979-3
- Pagination: 189 p.
- TRT Terms: Automated guideway transit; Beams; Cables; Computer programs; Curved beams; Dynamic loads; Dynamic structural analysis; Dynamic tests; Dynamics; Elevated guideways; Equations of motion; Guideways; Mathematical models; Rapid transit; Vehicle dynamics
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic analysis; Dynamic response
- Old TRIS Terms: Beams (Support); Cable suspension guideways; Guideway dynamics; Mechanical guides; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00197319
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/RSPA/DPB/50-79/4Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-60130
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1982 12:00AM