OPTICAL AUTOMATIC CAR IDENTIFICATION (OACI). VOLUME III. OPTICAL PROPERTIES OF LABELS
The results of a study on the optical properties of Optical Automatic Car Identification (OACI) labels (modules) and the review of the physical and chemical properties leading to a better understanding of the tests conducted on Improved Surface Treatment, Standard, and overlayed labels are presented. Label operational lifetime is defined using as criteria a reduction to 5% of the original label retroreflectance during that period. Based on the IST tests, the estimated operational life of those labels in that environment will be on the order of 12 years, provided that no failure in substrate or mechanical action on the label occurs. This life estimate is compatible with test data from OACI modules. Solar radiation is identified as the major cause of non-reversible mechanisms determinant of OACI label operational life. Other operational and environmental factors with reversible and non-reversible components are identified. Some OACI label alternatives are suggested. Experiments and evaluations of OACI labels by the Association of American Railroads and railroads are indicated.
- See also Volume 1, PB-291 877.
Cambridge Systems Corporation545 Technology Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02139
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Ingrao, H C
- Publication Date: 1979-3
- Pagination: 238 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic car identification; Information systems; Labeling; Life cycle analysis; Reliability; Service life; Tests
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Design;
- Accession Number: 00197315
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-78/15.III Final Rpt., CSC-77-102
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-74292
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 17 1979 12:00AM