ANALYSIS OF NPRM STROBE LIGHTS ON LOCOMOTIVES
The regulatory analysis was prepared using the procedures developed in Railroad Safety Economics: A Guide for the Analysis of Regulations (prepared by IOCS, Inc., for the Federal Railroad Administration February 1978). It includes an evaluation of the effectiveness of strobe lights, an analysis of the benefits and a estimation of the costs of the proposed regulation, and a measure of the economic impact of the regulation on the railroad industry. The benefits of strobe lights are measured against the accident information for 1975 and 1976 contained in the Rail-Highway Grade-Crossing Accident/Incident data base. A methodology was developed, utilizing fault tree analysis, modeling and human factors analysis, to postulate the expected value of benefits associated with the use of strobe lights on locomotives. Fault tree analysis indicated those accidents which would be affected by the presence of strobe lights. Modeling and human factors analysis were then utilized to develop multipliers which estimated the reduction in the number of accidents for each applicable accident circumstance of the fault tree analysis.
IOCS, IncorporatedWaltham, MA United States 02154
Federal Railroad Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Priest, W C
- Knoblauch, K
- Publication Date: 1978-5
- Pagination: 75 p.
- TRT Terms: Benefit cost analysis; Economic impacts; Fault tree analysis; Intersections; Light; Locomotives; Measures of effectiveness; Prevention; Railroad grade crossings; Railroads; Regulations; Safety; Visibility; Warning systems
- Uncontrolled Terms: Effectiveness; Light sources
- Old TRIS Terms: Government regulations; Grade crossing safety; Spotlights
- Subject Areas: Economics; Law; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00197314
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/OPPD-79/4 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-7-505226
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1979 12:00AM