GENERAL AVIATION AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
A study is reported which was designed to provide a framework for communication and collaboration between academic personnel, research engineers and scientists in government agencies and private industry; provide a study of a broadly based societal problem requiring the coordinated efforts of a multidisciplinary team; and generate participant experience in and foster interest toward the development of systems design activities and multidisciplinary programs at the participants home institutions. The major components (vehicle; air support facilities; airways and avionics; human factors) of the general aviation system are discussed, and the general aviation environment (economic, environment, changes in mobility and communication patterns) is reviewed. The factors that any community should consider in relation to general aviation are analyzed, and a decision-making process is outlined. The diversity of Virginia's transportation facilities, the Virginia Air Transportation System Plan, regionalism, and selected case studies of aviation facilities in Virginia are examined. This publication includes an aviation service analysis guidebook to assist local decision-makers in the process of determining whether or not aviation services are required to fulfill the needs of the residents of their communities.
- Address requests for copies of this report to Dr. G.L. Goglia, Chairman, Department of Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics.
Langley Research CenterNational Aeronautics and Space Administration
Hampton, VA United States 23665
Old Dominion UniversityResearch Foundation, P.O. Box 6369
Norfolk, VA United States 23508
- Publication Date: 1975
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; Tables;
- Pagination: 254 p.
- TRT Terms: Airport planning; City planning; Communities; Decision making; General aviation; General aviation aircraft; Social values; Urban development
- Geographic Terms: Virginia
- Old TRIS Terms: Community values
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00197179
- Record Type: Publication
- Contract Numbers: NGT 47-003-028
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 28 1979 12:00AM