EVALUATION OF LOAD CARRYING CAPACITY OF EXISTING ROAD BRIDGES
As a follow-up to the 1976 OECD study on Bridge Inspection, the report presents a state-of-the-art review on the Evaluation of the Load Carrying Capacity of Existing Road Bridges. It reviews vehicle and traffic characteristics with the aim of examining actual bridge loading patterns, and discusses the growing problem of exceptional heavy vehicles. A comparative analysis of national bridge codes and standards is made and external loading and environmental factors are considered insofar as they affect load carrying capacity. A special chapter is devoted to methods of assessing bridge conditions. The report then describes the present state-of-the-art regarding bridge rating systems, as well as the results of a comparative calculation, using different national schemes. It ends with a list of conclusions and recommendations for the attention of road transport and bridge authorities, and a discussion of research needs in this area of increasing economic and technological importance. /Author/
Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)2, rue André Pascal
Paris, France 75775 Paris Cedex 16
- Publication Date: 1979-5-18
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 126 p.
- TRT Terms: Bearing capacity; Heavy vehicles; Highway bridges; Inspection; Standards; State of the art studies; Traffic loads
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Freight Transportation; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00197152
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: RR/CM2/79.3 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 27 1979 12:00AM