STANDARDIZATION OF THE ADVANCED SHIP'S BRIDGE DISPLAY
The Standardized Bridge Program, Phase II, prepared for MarAd by Eclectech Associates, Inc., reports the conduct and findings of a program for the development of a standardized ship's bridge. The study specifically addresses the design of a centralized, advanced bridge display envisioned for implementation aboard future merchant vessels. Proposed and existing bridge systems were reviewed to identify potential requirements for the presentation of information. Ten advanced display formats were evaluated through human factors design critique and simulation. Scenarios of an 80,000 DWT tanker in New York's harbor were administered to masters and pilots licensed for the area. Measures of deck officer effectiveness showed improvement in track-keeping performance as the result of displaying predictor steering information. Recommendations are presented for the design and integration of advanced displays which present maritime sonar, lookout assist, navigation lines, intended track and system correlation information.
Eclectech Associates, IncorporatedPost Office Box 178, Route 2, Technology Park
North Stonington, CT USA 06359
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Cooper, R B
- Bertsche, W R
- Logan, K P
- Publication Date: 1978-7-14
- Pagination: 204 p.
- TRT Terms: Bridge design; Bridges; Human factors engineering; Information display systems; Personnel performance; Ship pilotage; Simulation; Standardization; Structural design
- Old TRIS Terms: Human performance; Standardized bridge systems
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00197065
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: MA-7-38011
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 28 1979 12:00AM