ORGANIZATION OF NEEDED PROGRAMS WITHIN THE NATIONAL RAIL TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM
This report was developed to assist the DOT and FRA to fulfill a requirement of the 4R Act of 1976 to assess the effects upon the national rail system of alternative rail corporate structures. The study recognized that corporate organization is not an end in itself. Instead it is only a tool to facilitate the efficient and effective management of an enterprise. For the railroads, corporate organization must assist the industry's managements to realize their dual objectives of public service and profit by addressing and resolving problems and/or opportunities. The study surveyed railroad managements, industry associations, and industry statistics in order to identify the current problems/opportunities facing the railroads. The study also surveyed the current organization of individual railroads and the industry. Finally the study considered alternative organizational concepts. The report states the findings that the principal needs of the industry are to organize analytical staff programs to develop and use service quality, cost and profitability information to identify and correct or eliminate uneconomic services. This information would be of special importance in dealing with labor and government.
Reebie (Robert) and Associates, IncorporatedP.O. Box 1436, 200 Railroad Avenue
Greenwich, CT United States 06830
- Reebie, R S
- Robertson, A C
- Publication Date: 1979-1
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 205 p.
- TRT Terms: Abandonment; Analysis; Capital; Costs; Economic analysis; Freight service; Industry structure; Labor unions; Management; Marketing; Pricing; Productivity; Profitability; Quality of service; Statistical analysis; Transportation policy
- Identifier Terms: Railroad Revitalization and Regulatory Reform Act of 1976
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Management methods; National transportation policies; Operating strategies
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Economics; Finance; Freight Transportation; Policy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00196986
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA-OPPD-79-3 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FRA-760-5271
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 28 1979 12:00AM