SHIPPING OPERATIONS INFORMATION SYSTEM
The long-range objective of the Shipping Operations Information System (SOIS) Project is to enhance the competitive posture of U.S. flag carriers by using recent advances in computer and telecommunications technology. The Maritime Administration (MARAD) believes that foreign flag carriers are drawing ahead of the U.S. maritime industry in the application and use of recent technological developments and in deriving managerial benefits from such developments. Consequently, MARAD is sponsoring the SOIS Development Project and has funded Phase 1, Requirements Analysis, in an effort to develop comprehensive, computer-based data processing to improve the responsiveness management, and control of steamship operating procedures. The areas of immediate concern are cargo space documentation, intermodal distribution coordination, fleet resource management, and maritime-government reporting. This first report presents a completed computer program for cargo space documentation.
- Volume 1, Executive Summary; Volume 2, Report, COM-73-10766, Repr PC, $9.00; Microfiche, $1.45.
Computer Sciences Corporation6565 Arlington Boulevard
Falls Church, VA United States 22046
- Giroux, E
- Publication Date: 1973-5
- Pagination: 68 p.
- Volume: 1
- TRT Terms: Commodities; Freight and passenger traffic; Freight documents; Freight transportation; Information storage and retrieval systems; Statistics
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo information systems; Cargo movement
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00044573
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 16 1973 12:00AM