SELECTION OF A PROTOTYPE ENGINE MONITOR FOR COAST GUARD MAIN DIESEL PROPULSION
A diesel engine monitor system has been synthesized from several parameter measurement subsystems which employ measurement techniques suitable for use on the main propulsion engines in U.S. Coast Cutters. The primary functions of the system are to monitor selected parameters, activate alarms or warnings when a critical failure mode is in progress, display all monitored data for hand recording by engineering personnel, and provide limited but adequate data-processing capability for analysis of these data. Diagnosis of existing engine problems and prognosis or prediction of incipient problems are accomplished by application of an interpretation rationale to the raw and analyzed data. The system works in conjunction with existing shipboard instrumentation, off-board laboratory analysis results, and crew inspection findings. Parameter measurements such as blowby flowrate, main bearing block temperature, and rack position are made electronically using state-of-the art techniques. Unique electronic circuitry and data display devices are featured to permit analysis of engine diagnostic parameters. Final analysis of data for both diagnosis and prognosis is by human interpretation. The monitor system is not computerized.
Southwest Research Institute6220 Culebra Road, P.O. Drawer 28510
San Antonio, TX USA 78228-0510
United States Coast Guard2100 Second Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20593
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
- Hambright, R N
- Storment, J O
- Wood, C D
- Publication Date: 1979-4
- Pagination: 90 p.
- TRT Terms: Data logging; Diesel engines; Engines; Failure; Information display systems; Information processing; Machinery; Monitoring; Performance
- Uncontrolled Terms: Condition monitoring
- Old TRIS Terms: Data logging systems; Diesel monitoring; Diesel performance; Engine monitoring; Failure mode
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00196679
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: CG-D-131-76 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-920
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 15 1979 12:00AM