DETERIORATION OF ASBESTOS CEMENT SHEET MATERIAL IN THE MARINE ENVIRONMENT
A major installation of asbestos cement sheet pile bulkhead was constructed in a marina on the Outer Banks of North Carolina in the 1960's. Extensive deterioration of the asbestos cement sheets has occurred in recent years. Tests were conducted to determine the performance of asbestos cement used in bulkhead/retaining structures along the coastline of North Carolina. The study included a three-month laboratory wetting/drying test, an examination of a deteriorated asbestos cement bulkhead from the field, and analysis of material tensile strength, water quality, and absorptive properties of the material, and tests for material composition through x-ray diffraction and scanning electron microscopy. Objectives of the study were to investigate the mode of failure, to investigate the effects of the marine environment on the asbestos cement sheet material and to investigate the applicability of the material to marine bulkheads. Study results are reported.
- Coastal Structures 79. Special Conference on the Design Construction, Maintenance and Performance of Port and Coastal Structures, Alexandria, Va, March 14-16, 1979, Volume 1.
North Carolina State University, RaleighDepartment of Marine Science and Engineering
Raleigh, NC United States 27607
National Oceanic and Atmospheric AdministrationSea Grant Program Office, 6010 Executive Boulevard
Rockville, MD United States 20852
- WATSON, L
- Machemehl, J
- BARNES, B
- Publication Date: 1978-12
- Pagination: 91 p.
- TRT Terms: Asbestos; Bulkheads (Hydraulics); Electron microscopy; Environmental impacts; Failure; Materials selection; Tensile strength; Tests; X rays
- Uncontrolled Terms: Scanning electron microscopy
- Old TRIS Terms: Failure mode; Materials evaluation; X-ray tests
- Subject Areas: Environment; Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00196558
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: UNC/SG/WP-78/1, 78/6
- Contract Numbers: NOAA-04-8-M01-16
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 15 1979 12:00AM