THE NETHERLANDS SHIP MODEL BASIN--40 YEARS OF SCIENTIFIC INDUSTRIAL SERVICE IN MARINE TECHNOLOGY; AND SYNOPSIS OF PAPERS
The Netherlands Ship Model Basin is an independent foundation on a non-profit base. Its product is a scientific technical report for the shipbuilding and shipping industry. Of the total activities of the model basin, about 25% has been devoted to research to develop new laboratory techniques. This research was financed by the government, the industry and the foundation itself. In the beginning the development of the NSMB originated in the large and increasing number of industrial orders in the deep water towing tank. This burden of work led the management to consider it wise to design and construct special purpose laboratories to unload the daily pressure on the capacity of the deep water tank. This led to the building of the following laboratories: the seakeeping laboratory (1956), the shallow water basin (1958) and the high speed basin (1965). In order to meet the demand for advanced industrial service, additional facilities were built: the cavitation tunnel with non-uniform flow simulation (1956), the wave and current laboratory for offshore problems (1965), a computer centre for shipbuilding and shipping industry (1961), the manoeuvring simulator (1970) and finally the depressurized towing tank (vacutank) (1972). The activities in these NSMB laboratories is reviewed and illustrated. Abstracts of 15 papers given at the meeting are also included.
- International Jubilee Meeting, August 30-September 1, 1972, of NSMB.
Netherlands Ship Model BasinHaagsteed 2, PO Box 28
- Publication Date: 1972-9
- Pagination: 42 p.
- TRT Terms: Cavitation (Mechanics); Cavitation erosion; Computer aided design; Fluid resistance; Hulls; Maneuverability; Propellers; Seakeeping; Shafts (Machinery); Ship motion; Ships; Tanks (Containers); Towing devices; Vibration
- Old TRIS Terms: Hull vibration; Model testing; Shaft vibration; Towing tanks
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00044536
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Netherlands Ship Model Basin
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 23 1973 12:00AM