THE INFLUENCE OF FUEL QUALITY ON THE PERFORMANCE, OPERATION, AND MAINTENANCE OF DIESEL PROPULSION ENGINES
MarAd has made available a technical report which examines the influence of fuel quality on the performance, operation, and maintenance of medium speed and low speed diesel propulsion engines. The use of different commercial blends of marine fuel oil in both types of diesel engines is reviewed, and the influence of fuel quality is examined for the main diesel engine and major support systems. Fuel quality and the required fuel conditioning must be considered together to determine the total impact on the diesel. Load factor, lube oil system, and engine operating temperatures are other major contributing system factors evaluated in the study. An economic evaluation of the influence of fuel quality on the diesel engine is also included.
Washington, DC USA 20590
Seaworthy Engine Systems, Incorporated36 Main Street
Essex, CT USA 06426
- Winkler, M F
- Meulengracht, P V
- Publication Date: 1979-3
- Pagination: 186 p.
- TRT Terms: Diesel engines; Economic analysis; Engine operation; Fuel composition; Fuel oils; Lubricating oils; Lubrication; Performance; Vehicle maintenance; Vehicle operations
- Uncontrolled Terms: Fuel quality
- Old TRIS Terms: Diesel lubrication; Diesel maintenance; Diesel operation; Diesel performance; Engine load variation; Medium speed diesels; Slow speed diesels
- Subject Areas: Economics; Energy; Maintenance and Preservation; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00196484
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: MA-RD-920-79020 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: MA-8-3033
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 15 1979 12:00AM