USE OF AIR BEARINGS FOR PIERSIDE LOADING RAMPS
To support the shore-side end of a ramp for loading and unloading the numerous wheeled vehicles carried by a U.S. aircraft carrier, a type of bearing was required which would accommodate appreciable angular axial and lateral movements of the ship relative to the dock-side. Of the various possibilities examined, a form of bearing is recommended in which the dock-side end of the ramp floats on a film of air during operation. Its use substantially reduces both operation time and labour costs.
- Paper presented at the June 8, 1978 meeting of the Pacific Northwest Section of SNAME.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ USA 07306-2907
- Cave, M W
- Publication Date: 1978
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 14 p.
- TRT Terms: Bearings; Loading and unloading; Ramps
- Old TRIS Terms: Bearing design; Loading systems
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00196477
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 15 1979 12:00AM