MATHEMATICAL MODELS FOR TRACK STRUCTURES
Fifteen mathematical models are developed here to predict stresses and deflections due to vertical and lateral wheel loads in track structures for establishing design and maintenance procedures. The modelling approach utilizes a series of models to simulate various aspects of track structures. Several models are developed for the same objective with simpler models for preliminary studies and more complex and versatile models for more comprehensive studies. The models are evaluated with regard to capabilities and agreements with published test data. Model predictions agree well with test data for cases in which test data are complete for purposes of model validation. Such is the case for models predicting rail stresses and deflections. Tie and ballast-subgrade models cannot be properly validated for lack of complete test data. No test data is available for validation of rail joint and fastener simulations and models incorporating track irregularities and non-linear response characteristics. Test data generated under a carefully controlled environment are required to validate the models. A limited parameter study is conducted with each of the models. The parameter investigations are meant to be illustrative rather than comprehensive. It is suggested that additional parameter investigation be undertaken with emphasis on track design parameters.
Chicago, IL United States 60616
- So, W
- Martin, G C
- SINGH, B
- Chang, I C
- Chang, E H
- Publication Date: 1977-4
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 219 p.
- TRT Terms: Ballast (Railroads); Deflection; Inspection; Mathematical models; Mechanical properties; Rail (Railroads); Rail fasteners; Railroad ties; Railroad tracks; Stresses; Structural analysis; Subgrade (Pavements); Validation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Track stiffness
- Old TRIS Terms: Ballast mechanics; Rail stress; Track component investigations; Track deflection; Track stress; Track structures
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Materials; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00196450
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: AAR R-262 Res Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 31 1979 12:00AM