OIL SPILL DETECTION BY USE OF THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY
The sensor system consists of a floating sensor probe connected by cable to a control box containing the instrumentation. It continuously measures the "thermal resistance" of a semiconductor diode located at the water surface which may be polluted by films of oil or other hydrocarbons. Applications include 1) ground water monitoring at oil or gasoline storage facilities, 2) monitoring discharges into rivers etc. 3) oil leak sensing around ships, 4) surface oil sensing of bilge water and 5) oil separator applications. Order from NSFI as No. 17201.
- International Oil-Pollution Prevention Exhibition and Conference, Hamburg, 1978.
International Oil-Pollution Preventn Exhibn & ConfHamburg, Germany
- Oliver, J N
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Detectors; Monitoring; Oil spill cleanup; Remote sensing
- Uncontrolled Terms: Oil separators
- Old TRIS Terms: Oil detection; Oil spill detection; Oil spill monitoring
- Subject Areas: Environment; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00196257
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Ship Research Institute of Norway
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 15 1979 12:00AM