COUNTERMEASURES FOR HYDRAULIC PROBLEMS AT BRIDGES. VOLUME 2-CASE HISTORIES FOR SITES 1-283
Guidelines have been developed to assist design, maintenance, and construction engineers in selecting measures that can be used to reduce bridge losses attributable to scour and bank erosion. These guidelines are based on case histories of 224 bridge sites in the U.S. and Canada, on interviews with bridge engineers in 34 states, and on a survey of published work on countermeasures. Each case history (in Vol. 2) includes data on bridge, geomorphic, and flow factors; a chronological account of relevant events at the site; and an evaluation of hydraulic problems and countermeasures. Problems at piers occurred at 100 sites and problems at abutments, at 80 sites. Problems are attributed to local scour at 50 sites, to general scour at 55 sites, and to lateral stream erosion at 105 sites. Performance ratings are given for rigid and flexible revetment, for flow-control measures (spurs, dikes, spur dikes, check dams, jack fields), and for measures incorporated into the bridge. Streams are classified for engineering purposes into five major types, each having characteristics of lateral stability and behavior that need to be taken into account in the design of bridges and countermeasures. Hydraulic analysis was carried out for flood conditions at 60 bridges, for which values fo flow, bridge, and geomorphic factors are tabulated. /FHWA/
- Record URL:
- Sponsored by the Federal Highway Administration.
U.S. Geological SurveyF Street Between 18th and 19th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20244
- Brice, J C
- Blodgett, J C
- Publication Date: 1978-9
- Pagination: 554 p.
- TRT Terms: Bridges; Countermeasures; Dams; Dikes; Engineers; Erosion; Floods; Geomorphology; Guidelines; Hydraulic equipment; Performance; Piers (Supports); Piers (Wharves)
- Old TRIS Terms: Hydraulic systems
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Highways; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00196246
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-78-163 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: P.O. No. 5-3-0199
- Files: NTL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 15 1979 12:00AM