SYMPOSIUM ON THE CHANGING ENVIRONMENT OF INTERNATIONAL AIR COMMERCE
This symposium which brought together leaders from industry, government, foreign countries, airlines, manufacturers, business and labor, included three panels. The first panel examined the development of U.S. policy for international air transportation from the 1944 Chicago conference and the principles established in the Bermuda I agreement (1946), through the Bermuda II agreement in 1977, and beyond that to the most recent agreements and their implications. The second panel examined, from point of view of the business person and the consumer, the current environment in which air commerce is conducted in world-wide markets. Observations were made on landing rights, user changes, aircraft sales, the distribution development in current markets and future prospects. Meeting environmental limitations through technological advances was also addressed. The third panel addressed current political and operational developments in international air transportation from the industry viewpoint. The worldwide political impact of changing U.S. policy, and the problems and challenges of increased competition were explored. The charter mode and the role of the tour operator were detailed. The operating and economic characteristics of cargo air transportation and passenger air transportation were discussed. The labor view of expanding jobs in the aviation industry was also explained.
- The Symposium was sponsored by Georgetown University School of Foreign Service's Karl F. Landegger Program in International Business Diplomacy. It was held at the University on May 4, 1978.
Georgetown UniversitySchool of Business Administration
Washington, DC USA 20007
Air Transport Association of America1709 New York Avenue, NW
Washington, DC USA 20006
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: 115 p.
- TRT Terms: Aircraft industry; Charters; Competition; Employment; Environmental impacts; Environmental quality; Freight transportation; International compacts; International relations; International travel; Policy; Regulatory constraints; Sales; User charges
- Old TRIS Terms: Bermuda agreement (1946); Bermuda agreement (1977); Cargo transportation; Foreign travel; Government policies
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Environment; Finance; Freight Transportation; Policy;
- Accession Number: 00196094
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Georgetown University
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 31 1979 12:00AM