ASSESSMENT OF THE EFFECTS OF INCREASED TRUCK SIZE AND WEIGHT LIMITS ON SHIPPERS AND STATES
The first phase is reported of a research project to assess the impacts of two proposed federal uniform truck size and/or weight (TSW) increases in tractor-trailer combinations in two groups: shippers or the users of transport services; and state transportation departments and legislatures. The first TSW alternative would be to increase the length of the trailer combinations without changing federally regulated gross vehicle weight (GVW) and axle loadings. The second proposed alternative would be to increase both the length and GVW of tractor trailer combinations without changing federally regulated axle loadings. This first phase consisted of a literature search and review of existing relevant studies on truck sizes and weight. The literature search covered both state issues (costs of TSW, on highway construction and maintenance, economic benefits of TSW, financing of highway costs, safety of heavier and larger trucks, increase in traffic flows, energy conservation, environmental impacts, and shipper issues (characteristics of the product, location of markets, choice of carrier, physical distribution, equipment, and on/off loading facilities). The search revealed that research of TSW impacts, including the operation of 27-foot trailers, is inconclusive due to the fragmentation of the research efforts. There is little definitive work on the subject, but there have been many attempts to analyze each aspect of the problem. The information base is very poor.
- Submitted to the Intermodal Studies Division, Department of Transportation.
Automated Sciences Group, Incorporated8555 16th Street, Suite 713
Silver Spring, MD USA 20910
- COHEN, S
- Holcomb, C
- Publication Date: 1979-5-14
- Features: Appendices; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 80 p.
- TRT Terms: Axial loads; Laws; Length; Research; Reviews; Size; Size and weight regulations; State departments of transportation; State government; Tractor trailer combinations; Traffic managers; Trucks; Trucks by weight; Weight
- Uncontrolled Terms: Shippers
- Subject Areas: Economics; Highways; Law; Motor Carriers; Research; Society;
- Accession Number: 00196037
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: ASGI TR-79-03 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 15 1979 12:00AM