PUBLIC INVOLVEMENT IN MARITIME FACILITY DEVELOPMENT
Social, economic, and environmental problems faced by people affected by the relocation or development of Maritime Services are examined. Methods to improve communication between developers and local populations, to increase citizen involvement in the planning process, and to accommodate those adversely affected are described. Public participation and mitigation/compensation aspects of Maritime related projects are described and analyzed in 10 illustrative cases which include the Loop Deepwater Port; Cove Point, Maryland LNG Terminal; Barbours Cut-Houston Container Terminal; and the Sohio-Long Beach Alaska Oil Terminal. The report concludes with recommendations in three major topics: Perspectives on Maritime Development, Citizen Involvement and Public Participation, and Mitigation and Compensation. Recommendations include a requirement for a public participation audit before an application can be approved and designation of a lead agency at both the Federal and state/local levels.
- This is a report of work supported by the Department of Commerce, Defense, and Transportation under provisions of Contract N00014-75-C-0711 Between the National Academy of Sciences and the Office of Naval Research.
Maritime Transportation Research BoardNational Academy of Sciences, 2101 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC USA 20418
- Publication Date: 1978-10
- Pagination: 269 p.
- TRT Terms: Coastal zone management; Coasts; Conservation; Container terminals; Deepwater harbors; Development; Economic analysis; Environmental impact analysis; LNG terminals; Marine terminals; Petroleum terminals; Port operations; Port structures; Ports; Transportation planning
- Uncontrolled Terms: Resource management
- Old TRIS Terms: Economic analysis (Ports); Oil terminals
- Subject Areas: Economics; Environment; Marine Transportation; Policy; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00196033
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Transportation Research Board
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: ONR1100014-75-C-0711
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 15 1979 12:00AM