FULL SCALE AND MODEL TESTING OF SHIPS' OPERATION IN ICE
The Author describes in some detail the activities of the Wartsila Arctic Design and Marketing Department (WADAM) in the development of icebreakers and other ice-going ships and associated technologies. The Department is mainly occupied with ship projects for the Wartsila shipyards, but also acts as a consultant; its work extends far beyond the Baltic. The paper is arranged under the main headings:--Full-Scale Testing (Ice Conditions--Ice Resistance Tests--Measurements--Propeller Loads and Propulsion System Behaviour--Additional Tests). Model-Scale Testing (Testing Facilities--Ice Conditions--Tests--Analysing and Full-Scale Predicting). Studies on Ship Operation ("Vintbott" (a 1976 study on the operation of icebreakers and merchant ships in the Gulf of Bothnia)--Examples of Other Studies). Applications (Icebreaking Capability in Level Ice--Simulation of progress in Ramming Mode--Simulation of the Interaction between Ice and the Propulsion System--Transit Simulation). A drawing is included showing the layout of the Wartsila Icebreaking Model Basin, which was extensively modified in 1976-77. Order from BSRA as No. 50,685.
- Third International Offshore Craft Conference, London, Sept. 1978, Day 2, Paper No. 4.
International Offshore Craft Conference (3rd)London, England
- Gordin, S
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: 11 p.
- TRT Terms: Cargo ships; Ice; Icebreakers; Icebreaking; Measurement; Mechanical loads; Resistance (Mechanics); Simulation; Test facilities
- Old TRIS Terms: Ice measurement; Ice resistance; Model testing; Propeller loading
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00196027
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 31 1979 12:00AM