THE DESIGN OF U-TANKS FOR ROLL DAMPING OF SHIPS
The first part of the report deals with new developments in U-tanks, such as the correction of some of the coefficients in the equations of motion. Also the digital computer can be used in the computation of the movements of the ship and tank fluid. The procedure of obtaining optimum stabilization has been altered radically. The shape of the U-tanks has been changed also. The roll-damping efficiency of the U-tank for a ship with strongly variable loading conditions has been examined and a solution for the adaptation of the U-tank to the loading conditions has been found. The second part of the report gives some information concerning the data of ship and sea which are needed for designing a U-tank. Also a short description of the efficiency of the U-tank, dependent on space available and loss of static stability that can be afforded, and depending on the loading condition of the ship has been given. The illustrating figures giving curves of rolling angles have all been obtained by computations. Only rolling motions due to long crested, regular, beam waves have been considered.
- Reprint from Netherlands Ship Research Center TNO, Report #124 S, October 1969.
Netherlands Ship Research Center TNOLeegwaterstraat 5
- Van Den Bunt, J D
- Publication Date: 1969-11
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 18 p.
- Issue Number: 67
- TRT Terms: Damping (Engineering); Rolling; Soil stabilization; Suspension systems
- Old TRIS Terms: Antirolling systems; Roll damping; Roll stabilization; Stabilization systems
- Subject Areas: Design; Geotechnology; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00044418
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Maritime Research Center, Galveston
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 11 1973 12:00AM