PLASTIC DESIGN OF PLATE PANELS FOR ICE STRENGTHENING AND SLAMMING
An available elastic perfectly plastic analysis method which retains the influence of geometry changes is used for the design of panels for ice strengthening and slamming. Ice loads are determined using damage analysis data. Slamming loads are determined using available towing tank model test results, a theoretical relative velocity formulation, and design wave heights which are based on a uniform acceptable risk of damage for the lifetime of a ship. Results are compared with the ABS Rules and new design procedures are proposed. Recommendations are also made for further work in both areas.
- Presented at meeting of New England Section of SNAME.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ USA 07306-2907
- Achtarides, T A
- Publication Date: 1972-9
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 83 p.
- TRT Terms: Deflection; Force; Ice; Impact; Plastic deformation; Plates (Engineering); Pressure; Slamming; Strength of materials
- Old TRIS Terms: Ice forces on structures; Ice strengthening; Impact pressure; Plate deflections
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00044416
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 11 1973 12:00AM