DESIGN AND APPLICATION OF BALSACORED REINFORCED PLASTIC TANKS FOR STORAGE AND TRANSPORTATION OF CHEMICALS
A unique concept of achieving an optimum, yet economical tank for storing or transporting materials is presented. Basic principles and procedures for designing tanks for a variety of applications are discussed. A detailed description of proper materials and fabrication technique is presented. Mechanical properties of various materials are tabulated. Comparison between the GFRP sandwich construction and other constructions is provided. The results show that balsa-cored reinforced plastic sandwich construction provides high strength, light weight, thermal insulation, and corrosion resistance, and is thus very suitable for storing or transporting materials.
- Proceedings of Society of Plastics Industry, Reinforced Plastics Division, Annual Technical Conference, 27th, Feb. 8-11, 1972.
Society of Plastic Industry1140 East 40th Street
New York, NY United States 10016
- Desai, R R
- Publication Date: 1972-2-8
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 8 p.
- TRT Terms: Chemicals; Design; Glass fiber reinforced plastics; Tanks (Containers)
- Old TRIS Terms: Chemical cargo; Tank construction; Tank design
- Subject Areas: Design; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00044403
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: Sect 7-A
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 11 1973 12:00AM