METHANOL, ETHANOL AND JET FUEL EMISSIONS COMPARISON FROM A SMALL GAS TURBINE
Alcohol fuels are currently reasserting their attractiveness as feasible liquid fuel alternatives for transportation and electrical power generation. A 60 H. P. gas turbine engine has been easily converted to operate on methanol and ethanol fuels. No unusual fuel system hardware problems were experienced during 15 hours of testing with methanol and one hour of testing with ethanol. A computer model's predicted low emissions of NOx and CO for methanol were closely approximated after the installation of an air atomizing fuel nozzle. Substantial NOx reductions also resulted from ethanol fuel. Hydrocarbon unburned fuel emissions were increased with methanol and ethanol. Agreement is found with five previously reported methanol gas turbine experiments which indicate from 60% to 80% NOx reductions in comparison with distillate-type fuels. Combustor inlet temperature variation is considered as one cause of variability of reported CO emissions with methanol. Droplet size effects and increased ignition delay are considered to adversely affect methanol's CO and hydrocarbon emissions. Detailed emissions data for NOx, NO, NO//2 CO and hydrocarbons are reported for several series of fuel nozzle tests with methanol, ethanol and Jet A fuels.
- Preprint from the meeting held 27-30 November 1978.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Pullman, J B
- Publication Date: 1978
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 22 p.
- Society of Automotive Engineers Preprint
- Publisher: Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- TRT Terms: Alcohols; Applications; Carbon monoxide; Electric power; Ethanol; Exhaust gases; Fuels; Gas turbines; Hydrocarbons; Jet engine fuels; Measurement; Methanol; Motor fuels; Nitric oxide; Nitrogen compounds; Nitrogen oxides; Pollutants; Research; Simulation; Transportation; Turbine engines
- Old TRIS Terms: Jet fuels; Substitutes
- Subject Areas: Energy; Research; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00195397
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 781013
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 15 1979 12:00AM