EFFICIENT LIGHT WEIGHT TRANSFER CASES FOR FOUR WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLES
Three transfer case models to improve the fuel economy of four-wheel-drive vehicles have been designed and developed for production. Improved economy is obtained by (1) minimizing churning and friction losses for highway made two-wheel-drive operation, (2) minimizing the weight of the transfer case assembly, and (3) providing low-range transfer case ratios compatible with the lower numerical axle ratios demanded for highway fuel economy.
- From the 11-14 December 1978 Meeting.
Warrendale, PA USA 15096
- Huffaker, G E
- Publication Date: 1978-12
- Pagination: 9 p.
- Society of Automotive Engineers Preprint
- Publisher: Society of Automotive Engineers
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Axles; Design; Epicyclic gears; Four wheel drive; Fuel conservation; Gears; Highways; Motor vehicles; Random access memory; Transmissions
- Old TRIS Terms: Epicyclic; Transfer cases
- Subject Areas: Design; Energy; Highways; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00195290
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 781062
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 15 1979 12:00AM