COMPUTER PREDICTIONS OF FREIGHT TRAIN SHOCK ACTIONS
Results obtained from a digital computer simulation of longitudinal train action are presented. The effects of running friction, draft gear springback, train position and train speed on a run-out shock are shown. Various modifications in the characteristics of friction draft gears are studied. The impact characteristics of hydraulic end-of-car cushioners are studied. Simulations study the effects of such hydraulic cushioners on train action. Some underlying mathematical considerations and the general characteristics of the computer simulation are given.
- Contributed by the Rail Transportation Division of ASME for presentation at the Winter Annual Meeting, New York, New York, November 26-30, 1972.
American Society of Mechanical EngineersTwo Park Avenue
New York, NY USA 10016-5990
- Roggeveen, R C
- Publication Date: 1972-11
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 32 p.
- TRT Terms: Dynamic tests; Simulation; Train track dynamics
- Old TRIS Terms: Freight train shock actions; Slack action
- Subject Areas: Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00044284
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper 72-WA/RT-9
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 15 1974 12:00AM