PROJECT SERIES A. THE SAFETY OF SHIPS AGAINST COLLISION
Project Series A of Special Research Series 98 is a programme of studies commenced in 1972 with the aim of developing a systematic approach for a quantitative determination of the active collision safety of a ship dependent upon its physico-technical parameters and the environmental factors. The means of the collision susceptibility of a ship is taken as the collision rate, i.e. the probability of a collision occuring within a given service life. Proceeding from this basis, the collision rate has been calculated as a function of the hydrodynamics of the hull, propeller and rudder, the mechanical and electro-mechanical properties of the propulsion and manoeuvring as well as the statistically evaluated operating environment. This complex exercise has necessitated the cooperation of a number of specialists in such subjects as manoeuvring, hydrodynamics, propulsion and systems techniques. For organizational purposes the work was carried out in five subdivisions: A1--Preparation of a mathematical model for calculating the collision rate (Technical Director: Professor Krappinger). A2--Preliminary Calculation of ship motion for arbitrary evasion and stopping manoeuvres with the aid of Planar-Motion-Model tests. (Technical Director: Professor Grim). A3--Behaviour of the propeller in evasion and stopping manoeuvres (Technical Directors: Professors Grim and Isay). A4--Control and revising behaviour of main propulsion machinery (Technical Director: Professor Geisler). A5--Effect of steering gear performance and construction on the dynamic behaviour of steering gear (Technical Director: Professor Wangerin). This monograph contains the collected contributions to each of these sub-projects. Order from BSRA as No. 50,019.
Technical University of Hannover, West GermanyWelfengarten 1
3000 Hannover, Germany
- Publication Date: 1978-5
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 197 p.
- Schiffstecknik und Schiffbau
- Publisher: Technical University of Hannover, West Germany
- TRT Terms: Collisions; Hydrodynamics; Mathematical models; Performance; Propellers; Propulsion; Rudders; Safety engineering; Ship collisions; Ship motion; Steering gears; Stopping; Vehicle power plants
- Old TRIS Terms: Collision modeling; Model testing; Planar motion mechanism; Propeller performance; Propulsion machinery controls; Stopping characteristics
- Subject Areas: Hydraulics and Hydrology; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00194245
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 13 1979 12:00AM