CLEVELAND-HOPKINS AIRPORT ACCESS STUDY: SURVEY RESULTS
The impact of providing rapid rail transit service between the Cleveland central business district and Hopkins Airport is assessed with reference to modal split and ridership characteristics. Two separate surveys of airport users were correlated, representing characteristic ridership profiles by mode both before and after the transit link became operational. The report outlines data collected concerning: overall airport activity and transit ridership; characteristics of air passengers, air trips, and ground trips to the airport; passenger-related visitors; airport employees; and casual visitors. Findings include: (1) Nearly 58% of all transit riders were air passengers, and only 1/4 of this group began their trips in the Cleveland central business district. (2) Approximately 14.5% of all air passengers at Hopkins Airport used the rapid transit for airport access. More significantly, at least 25% of all air passengers with origin or destination in the rapid transit service area used the system. (3) All modes of travel indicated some ridership diverted to the rapid transit. (4) Transit use rose to more than 30% among air passengers traveling to or from terminals of the rapid transit system. (5) Ridership among airport employees rose from 8% to 18%. (6) Transit was also used by small percentages of passenger-related and casual airport visitors.
Regional Planning Commission, Cuyahoga CountyThe Arcade
Cleveland, OH USA
- Publication Date: 1970-6
- Pagination: 180 p.
- TRT Terms: Airport access; Central business districts; Landside capacity; Modal split; Rapid transit; Ridership
- Identifier Terms: Cleveland Hopkins International Airport; Cleveland Transit System
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00044205
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 15 1974 12:00AM