APPLICATION OF LARGE HELICOPTERS TO COMMERCIAL TRANSPORTATION
The helicopter's unique ability to transport large work crews and heavy equipment to remote areas quickly, cheaply, and efficiently will become increasingly important and useful as easily accessible resources are depleted. The introduction of large helicopters into operation will result in increased capabilities and expanded application of helicopter transport. Because costs prohibit certifying a new large helicopter, updating and adapting existing machines, developed under military programs is a very desirable approach. The Boeing Vertol CH-47 "Chinook" helicopter is a prime candidate for this opportunity due to its successful history in the U. S. Army as well as with foreign users. The paper describes modifications made to provide the commercial "Chinook" and gives performance data.
- Paper presented at SAE Meeting May 1-4, 1978.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Rothman, N
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: 11 p.
- Society of Automotive Engineers Preprint
- Publisher: Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- TRT Terms: Accessibility; Aircraft; Civil aircraft; Helicopters; Performance; Transport aircraft
- Identifier Terms: Boeing aircraft; Boeing Vertol CH-47 helicopter
- Uncontrolled Terms: Remote areas
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00190193
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 780537
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 11 1979 12:00AM