City of Regina Field Demonstration of Engineered In-Place Recycling and Structural Rehabilitation of Roads to Develop Sustainable 'Green Urban Structural Asset Management'
Many City of Regina local streets are experiencing structural deterioration. As well, quality aggregate sources are becoming increasingly scarce in the Regina area. The City of Regina is also constructed on highly expansive lacustrine clay which makes construction with heavy equipment and potential adverse weather conditions a severe construction challenge. The City is investigating the use of cold in-place recycling and full depth strengthening rehabilitation of their urban streets in an attempt to reduce not only capital costs, but holistic user delay and environmental emissions costs within the City. The City is also investigating advanced mechanistic laboratory design and non-destructive road structural diagnostic technologies to accurately quantify in situ structural composition, condition states, and material constitutive properties to enable them to design cold in-place recycling systems. This field project proved to require significantly less energy to rehabilitate urban roads, yet still provide an equivalent or superior structural asset value relative to conventional energy intensive pavement rehabilitation systems. This project also employed state-of-the-art mechanistic road engineering design and asset management methods to help select and document the field performance of in-place road recycling construction systems. This project was nominated for the 2006 TAC Environmental Achievement Award.
- Record URL:
Transportation Association of Canada (TAC)Ottawa, Ontario Canada
- Berthelot, C
- COURAND, A
- RITCHIE, H
- PALM, B
- 2007 Annual Conference and Exhibition of the Transportation Association of Canada: Transportation - An Economic Enabler (Les Transports: Un Levier Economique)
- Location: Saskatoon Saskatchewan, Canada
- Date: 2007-10-14 to 2007-10-17
- Publication Date: 2007
- Media Type: Print
- Pagination: 21 p.
- Monograph Title: 2007 Annual Conference and Exhibition of the Transportation Association of Canada: Transportation - An Economic Enabler
- TRT Terms: Bitumen; Cold in-place recycling; Conferences; Environment; Field tests; Pavement design; Pavement management systems; Pollutants; Pollution; Recycling; Repairing; Urban areas; Vehicles
- Geographic Terms: Canada
- Subject Areas: Construction; Environment; Highways; Pavements; Vehicles and Equipment; I10: Economics and Administration; I52: Construction of Pavements and Surfacings;
- Accession Number: 01098876
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Association of Canada (TAC)
- Files: TAC
- Created Date: May 6 2008 7:23AM