The first of this set of articles examines the future of the Ro-Ro concept with regard to trading routes, to short sea traders and, finally, to deep sea traders. Under the heading "Hull Access" various kinds of ramp are considered, also side door and bow door systems. The transfer between decks by elevator or ramp is discussed and the author closes with a brief note on shore facilities, in particular the Macbridge. The second article considers "Kaprifol", the first of three new 8,950 tonne d.w. ro-ro ships from Lodose Yard for Toto Line's North Sea Service. The vessel, which is built to carry vehicles or containers on three decks, is described, giving details of construction, arrangement, equipment, accommodation and prospects. The next article, entitled "Significant Ferries", comprises short descriptions of the "Touggourt", "Coutances", "Prins Albert", "Kaptan Necdet Or", and "Kaptan Sait Ozege". A number of Ro-Ro design trends and proposals are critically examined in the next article by Mr. J.G. Brown. The aims of his "system" approach in vessel design are summarised with particular reference to the "Mary Holyman" and the new type of ship/shore ramp, named "Tidebridge", developed for this vessel. The author refers to other developments by his company, Cargospeed, of ro-ro equipment for the vessels "Laurentian Forest" and "Avon Forest", and a variation of the previously mentioned curved "Tidebridge", the "Switchtail Tidebridge". He mentions conversion contracts his company has been involved in, as well as access equipment, the "Tiltdek" and the "Trio" ramp system.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/oclc/7260964
- Copies of the original material available to members at a cost of 0.15 pounds per page, and to non-members at 0.30 pounds per page to include postage. There will be a minimum charge of 0.50 pounds to members and 2.00 pounds to non-members for this service.
IPC Industrial Press LimitedDorset House, Stamford Street
London SE1 9LU, England
- Publication Date: 1978-6
- Pagination: 17 p.
- TRT Terms: Cargo handling; Cargo handling equipment; Openings; Ramps; Roll on roll off ships; Trade routes
- Old TRIS Terms: Access openings; Cargo ramps
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00188749
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Cargo Handling Coordination Assn
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 28 1979 12:00AM