BARYTES--A TREACHEROUS CARGO
The author summarises the method of handling barytes, a heavy drilling mud, packed in bags and banded to pallets. The most suitable type of vessel for this cargo is described as are the appropriate handling rates and ideal size of the gang. He discusses the particular difficulties and factors to be taken into account in finding the right ship and the methods used in loading. Failure to find the right kind of ship can lead to losses and additional expenses such as demurrage, slow cargo handling and damage. The types of vessel to be avoided are described as are suitable dunnage, type of fork lift truck and pallets.
- Copies of original material available to members at a cost of 0.15 pounds per page, and to non-members at 0.30 pounds per page to include postage. There will be a minimum charge of 0.50 pounds to members and 2.00 pounds to non-members for this service.
- Dundon, J
- Publication Date: 1977
- Pagination: 2 p.
- TRT Terms: Bulk cargo; Cargo handling; Cargo ships; Costs; Demurrage; Fork lifts; Loading and unloading; Pallets
- Uncontrolled Terms: Bagged cargo
- Old TRIS Terms: Palletized cargo
- Subject Areas: Finance; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00188745
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Cargo Handling Coordination Assn
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 28 1979 12:00AM