HELICOPTER TRANSPORT EFFICIENCY PAYOFFS FROM ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY
The new generation of helicopters which will see operational use in the 1980's will provide significantly greater productivity and lower operating costs than their predecessors. Both of these improvements result from technological advances made during the past decade. These advances and the methods used to achieve them are described in detail. Included are the new technology manifested in main and tail rotor blade and head design, composite structures, vibration reduction, and aerodynamic drag. The resulting payoffs are traced to productivity and operating cost benefits, with figures relating to Sikorsky's new S-76 as an example.
- For Meeting held May 1-4, 1978.
Warrendale, PA USA 15096
- Knapp, L G
- Nesbitt, E J
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: 27 p.
- Society of Automotive Engineers Preprint
- Publisher: Society of Automotive Engineers
- TRT Terms: Aircraft; Benefit cost analysis; Drag; Economic development; Helicopters; Operating costs; Performance; Rotor blades; Transport aircraft; Vibration
- Identifier Terms: Sikorsky S-76 helicopter
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Economics; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00188578
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 780536
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 1979 12:00AM