RAPID SOIL STABILIZATION AND PERENNIAL VEGETATION ESTABLISHMENT WITH USE OF ANNUAL SPECIES, IRRIGATION AND SEEDBED TREATMENTS
Three studies were conducted to determine more effective and reliable methods of rapidly stabilizing and permanently vegetating disturbed roadsides. The first two studies included laboratory and field evaluation of many annual species to determine their suitability for use as temporary stabilization species. The second and third studies included field trials of species and implementation methods. The studies showed that Horsford barley was the most desirable temporary stabilization species of those evaluated. However, the cereal grains wheat and oats were also successful temporary stabilizers. Horsford barley seeded simultaneously with a mixture of seven perennial grasses, two legumes, and a shrub resulted in a well stabilized seedbed within thirty days. During the late summer the barley plants provided over sixty percent ground coverage while all perennial species collectively, provided less than eight percent ground coverage. Only one application of 3.8 cm of irrigation water applied immediately following seeding was required to establish the barley and perennial species when planted during mid July. Effectiveness of other seedbed treatments including woodfiber mulch, straw plus asphalt mulch, straw stubble mulch, paper mulch and gouging were significantly reduced when combined with the temporary stabilizer species. /FHWA/
- Sponsored by the Montana Department of Highways. Study conducted cooperation with the Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration.
Montana State University, BozemanAgricultural Experiment Station
Bozeman, MT United States 59717
- Jensen, I B
- Publication Date: 1977-12
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Erosion control; Irrigation; Mulches; Planting; Soil stabilization; Vegetation
- Subject Areas: Design; Environment; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00195604
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-MT-78-141(1) Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: 7918
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 15 1979 12:00AM