AMERICAN BUREAU OF SHIPPING INFORMATION RETRIEVAL SYSTEM (ABSIRS)
ABSIRS is a computer system for the storage, correlation, and retrieval of maritime information. It is available to all industries through an exclusive licensing agreement with ABS Computers, Incorporated. It contains seven files: the Master File (all the data in the published "Record of the American Bureau of Shipping", including characteristics of more than 45,000 vessels such as vessel name, owner, builder, dimensions, machinery, flag, tonnages, and date built); Shipbuilding and Drydock File (listing names, locations, capacities, and a description of shipbuilding, drydock, and repair facilities available throughout the world); Owners File (record of the names and addresses of owners, agents, and operators of ABS-classed vessels appearing in the Record); On-Order File (data on vessels in excess of 1,000 GT that are either being constructed or are under contract to be built in shipyards around the world, including dates of keel laying, launching, and projected completion, together with tonnage, dimensions, machinery, and other major items); Construction File (additional detailed information on vessels of ABS classification, including particulars of characteristics of hull construction and materials and machinery items and associated components); Technical Notes File (service data limited to statistical compilations and correlations concerning vessels classed with ABS since 1965); and the Dead File (storage of data related to ships that have ended service life). Use of data in the On-Order, Construction, and Technical Notes Files is restricted under licensing agreements.
- For information, call (212) 785-9727. See entry for MRIS abstract 21 187172, Record of the American Bureau of Shipping for further information.
ABS Computers, Incorporated45 Broad Street
New York, NY United States 10004
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Information storage and retrieval systems; Information systems; Ship classification; Shipbuilding; Statistics; Vehicle characteristics
- Identifier Terms: American Bureau of Shipping
- Old TRIS Terms: Ship characteristics
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00194957
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Bureau of Shipping
- Report/Paper Numbers: Data base
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 13 2002 12:00AM