WATERWAY MAP SERIES
The map series is the first product of the National Waterways Study. There are 19 maps included showing commercially navigable waterways and ports and major waterborne commodity movements in the United States. The series was completed in March 1979 and was designed to illustrate the report, "Commercial Waterways and Ports of the United States". The maps variously show locations and physical characteristics of the existing waterway system, coastal, inland and Great Lakes ports used for commercial purposes, with waterways and ports grouped into 8 depth categories ranging from under 8 feet to over 40 feet; 1976 waterborne commerce statistics for ports which handled cargo weighing one million tons or more; weight of cargo in millions of pounds and value of shipments for exports and imports of general cargo and bulk cargo by states and customs regions; waterborne movements of grain, industrial, and agricultural chemicals, iron ore, iron and steel products, and other commodities for 1976; and National Energy Study maps that portray commodities moving based on 1974 information, with an additional map to be made available in the summer 1979 that will show flows of coal, crude oil, and petroleum products for 1976.
- For information call (202) 325-7141. See also MRIS abstract 60 187182, National Waterways Study for further information.
National Waterways StudyInstitute for Water Resources, Kingman Building
Fort Belvoir, VA United States 22060
- Publication Date: 1979-6
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Commodities; Freight transportation; Inland waterways; Maps; Port traffic; Ports; Statistics; Waterways
- Geographic Terms: Great Lakes
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo movement; Commodity statistics; Maps (Inland waterways); Waterways commerce statistics
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00194956
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Army Corps of Engineers
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 13 1979 12:00AM