DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN NAVAL FIGHTING SHIPS
The Dictionary provides an alphabetical arrangement of the ships of the Continental and U.S. Navies, with a historical sketch containing pertient information on each one. Volume 1, A-B, includes 5 appendices listing the types of combatant ships comprising the modern Navy: battleships, cruisers, escort vessels, submarines, and destroyers. Volume 2, C-F, contains 2 appendices listing types of aircraft carriers and confederate forces afloat. Volume 3, G-K, has appendices providing information on historic ship exhibits, monitors, and Civil War ordnance. Volume 4, L-M, presents 6 appendices of information on amphibious warfare ships, aviation auxillaries, destroyer tenders, ships of the line, classification of naval ships, and service craft as well as additions and errata pertaining to Volume 3. Volume 5, N-Q, includes the histories of some of the United States' older ships under sail joined with those of the newest and most powerful atomic vessels. Vital statistics are also given on a number of other ships including Stone fleet, minecraft, new ships A through M since publication of earlier volumes, aircraft, and an errata for previous volumes. A listing of the contents of Volumes 1-4 is included. Volume 6, R-S, provides an appendix giving the explanation of origins of ships' names, and a listing of submarine chasers and Eagle-Class patrol craft.
- Volume 1: Reprinted 1974; 372 pp; GPO 008-046-00041-7. Volume 2: Reprinted 1977; 591 pp; GPO 008-046-00007-7. Volume 3: Reprinted 1977; 876 pp; GPO 008-046-00008-5. Volume 4: Published 1969; 745 pp; GPO 008-046-00009-3. Volume 5: Published 1971; 639 pp; GOP 008-046-00051-4. Volume 6: Published 1976; 751 pp; GPO 008-046-00056-5.
Department of the NavyThe Pentagon
Washington, DC United States 20350
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Amphibious operations; Directories; Military vessels; Patrol boats; Submarines; Vehicle characteristics
- Old TRIS Terms: Ship characteristics
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00194303
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Government Printing Office
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 13 1979 12:00AM