PICADAD--PLACE FILE. CEN/DF-73-034
PICADAD (Place Identification, Characteristics and Area, Distance and Direction) is a computer file of the names of locations, termed "keypoints", throughout the United States with their associated geographic codes and coordinates. Distance may be calculated between any pair of keypoints. The file contains 24,000-plus unique geographical keypoints, each associated with any of its common alternate names or spellings. Each keypoint has a keypoint serial number and political, postal, and economic region identifiers. The primary records, or keypoints, in PICADAD include all incorporated places in the United States; all Census-designated unincorporated places in the United States with populations of at least 25,000 as reported in the 1970 Census; all New England states towns that do not have the same name as an associated incorporated or Census-designated unincorporated place as listed above; selected major tourist attractions not covered in the above categories; selected Canadian and Mexican ports of entry into the U.S.; county and state population centroids; and miscellaneous locations, generally "fill" locations in the western United States where other types of keypoints are separated by great distances. The file may be purchased in a single reel of magnetic tape. The user manual, "Description and Technical Documentation of the PICADAD File", is available from the Bureau of the Census or the Government Printing Office (GPO).
- ADP Source: 1 reel mag tape, IBM compatible, 7-track. 556/800 BPI, BCD. Or 9-track, 800 BPI, EBCDIC.
Bureau of the CensusGeography Division
Washington, DC United States 20233
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Commodities; Distance; Freight traffic; Intermodal transportation; Mathematical models; Passenger transportation; Tables (Data); Transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Transportation models and systems
- Subject Areas: Terminals and Facilities; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00194300
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Statistical Reference File, TSC
- Report/Paper Numbers: Data base
- Files: TSR, TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 13 1979 12:00AM